sunset

sunset

Monday, April 20, 2015

Earth Day

My daughter has been after me to do better with my recycling. I always have an excuse; I don't have the room for it, empty food packages attract ants and bugs, it is a pain to sort items. I have decided I will attempt to do better. I went online this morning to see what items our recycle pickup will accept and not accept. I was rather surprised at the things they will take, AND I do not have to sort them. I just throw them all in our recycle bin and place it by the road. They will take


  • Cardboard
  • Paper
  • Food boxes
  • Mail
  • Beverage cans
  • Food cans
  • Glass bottles
  • Jars-both glass and plastic
  • Jugs
  • Plastic bottles and caps
I did not know they took so many things. I will get another small trashcan marked for recycling and do better.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you Janell! Every little bit helps, it really does!

    Here in California, you are pretty much forced to recycle. Waste services provide three great big rolling bins; one for trash, one for recycle, & one for yard waste. This has been going on since I was a kid, and I'm 37 now. Our trash bin is the least used of the three.

    When we lived in Colorado, we had to store our recycling and then drive it to gigantic transport bins behind a local grocery store, and we were responsible for sorting. Not convenient, but I couldn't stand to throw it in the regular trash after being raised in Cali. Some waste companies do provide a small bin for an extra fee, but we didn't use a trash service because hubby was able to take our trash bags to work to throw away. (Very frugal!)

    I've learned though that recycling uses up lots of resources so I try to remember to use reusables as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you found out how much you can recycle curbside. You are lucky you don't have to sort and can use your own container. We have to sort out paper and only some metals and plastics are accepted but it is better than nothing. We also have to buy plastic bags to put the non paper items in for pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to have the big bins like Blessings mentioned here in town. I sometimes had to hold my recycle stuff for three weeks because the bins were full...Eventually the bins disappeared and now we have nothing, so I recycle what I can use here at home and the rest goes in the trash. It bothers me no end, but I can't keep it all. Good for you on taking advantage of something that is offered in your community!

    ReplyDelete